Nate’s Half Year Birthday
Baby Nate is 6 months old, weighing 20lbs (88th percentile) and measuring 28inches long (94th percentile for height and head circumference).
Nate is a super baby! Smiley, happy, sociable, and easy going. He loves his older brother and always wants to be near Noah. Noah has taken on his new role of big brother extremely well, with gentle hugs, sweet kisses, rocking and shshing, singing and playing to entertain and soothe Nate. “Calm down Nate! We are right here!” “Here is your binky!” “If you are tired just go to sleep! shhh” “I think Nate is hungry. You can feed him on the couch.”
- Rolling over: At about 5 months, Nate started rolling over. Opposite of Noah, he rolled from back to his belly right away and a week later started rolling from belly to back.
- Sitting and standing: Nate can’t yet sit on his own but he is getting really close. Because of his weight and his chunky legs, he’s been distributing his weight well while propped into a standing position.
- Sleep: we got pretty lucky as Nate started sleeping up to 6hrs at night by his first month. This trend continued until about he was 4.5months, then he became extremely mobile in his crib, often waking himself up by either rolling over or getting his leg stuck in the crib rails. He also went through a growth spurt waking up every 3hrs to nurse, so we added baby cereal and avocado to his diet. His sleep continues to vary. There were a few nights he slept for 10-11hrs and then some he spent 2hrs awake in the middle of the night. The bottom line is Nate’s sleeping pattern is as random as a dice roll but I am hoping he will soon settle for longer and more consistent stretches.
- Diet: Nate first tried solid food at 4.5months but his tongue reflux has not gone away yet so he was not really into it until closer to 5.5months. It was evident right away that Nate, being a big little guy, was eager to incorporate at least two meals per day in addition to nursing every 3hrs. He is excited to sit at the dinner table anxiously awaiting his turn after mom first helps Noah. When Noah was a baby he was so excited about food that he ate everything! Nate, on the other hand, is more particular about texture. After numerous attempts, he still rejects mashed banana (Noah’s first solid). He finds apple sauce too runny but is willing to eat it mixed with pumpkin for breakfast. His favorite is avocado mixed with breast milk for lunch and dinner is baby cereal. He was not too keen on simple veggies like butternut squash, peas and sweet potato, so mom will need to get more creative with the combos.
- Playtime: Nate’s favorite past time is being carried by dad in the Baby Bjorn, sometimes dancing in the living room. After that he likes his play mat where he gets to reach for toys, roll and kick around. He really enjoys taking apart plastic linked rings and gets very frustrated when things don’t go his way. He adores watching his brother play, run around and do monster truck donuts. Big brothers rule!
It’s been great having dad around for the last two months and the four of us have fallen into a great summer routine. We’ll miss dad’s extra help, playtime, grocery shopping, camp pickup, park and pool trips once he goes back to work. August will be an exciting month for us with grandparents visiting and new babysitters getting tryouts.